Thursday, November 26, 2009

Beer Review 1 - Pilsner Urquell

For me, beer has always been strictly about drinkability (and the more, the merrier!) but I am attempting with this blog page to expand my beer palate. Owing to my thus far extremely narrow-focused approach to the beverage, I know that there is a world of flavors, colors and aromas awaiting me. It will be a fun and exciting journey! Also, I hope to become more educated about the various ingredients in beer and the many styles of brewing it. But for now, my reviews will focus on what I learn about the beer, how it presents itself, and whether or not I like it. I do not yet have the palate nor the beer vocabulary to discuss the beer in any more specific terms.




This being my first beer tasting, I thought I’d start on (sort of) familiar ground. Pilsner Urquell comes from the town of Plzen, Czech Republic. It bills itself as “the original pilsner” and has been produced since 1842. A pilsner is a pale lager, made with bottom-fermenting yeast, and is purportedly the model for most of the American lagers that I’ve been throwing back for nearly 20 years now. So, this is, in a way, the granddaddy of those Coors’ Lights and MGDs and Rolling Rocks I’ve been enjoying since high school (sorry mom, it’s true).

This beer looks, smells and tastes like those good old American brews, but beyond the cache of being the original, there really is nothing that sets it apart from the others (or from a beer like Heineken, for that matter). This beer is tasty, don’t get me wrong. I look at the bottle, and I sing that old Joni Mitchell line “I could drink a case of youuuuuu.” Very drinkable, no bitterness and minimal skunkiness. It leaves a sweet taste in the mouth. A good pale lager from the land of my forefathers. Na zdravĂ­!

No comments:

Post a Comment