Friday, January 15, 2010

Beer Review 27 - Chimay Bleu


Chimay is a beer I've been eyeing for quite some time. It famously offers the white, red and blue. More on the other two in upcoming reviews (I hope) but this one is the blue, the Grande Reserve. A large, hooded and corked bottle. Silvie bought me this one and I saved it for Xmas Day. You'll note that it is pictured with a slab of Sil's delicious vegan blueberry cheesecake. The Grande Reserve is a Belgium Strong Dark Ale and poured dark brown and cloudy, with a touch of light around the edges and a tight, off-white head. There was a clean, light, malty aroma. There are complex flavors in there, mostly dark fruits; a dark, slightly bitter ale. The big alcohol content hides well in the taste but packs a whallop (especially when drinking an entire bottle in one sitting). I must say I was not completely sold on it, although I suspect it will cross my path again.

No comments:

Post a Comment